reACT EXHIBITION

THE EGGSPERIMENT

8th April 2016 – 07th May 2016

 

Curator: Taylor Lockhart-Lang

Artist: Genevieve Detering

 

P21 Gallery is pleased to present The Eggsperiment – A Painting for Syria, an exhibition of the first painting by Genevieve Detering, which will open at P21 Gallery on April 7th 2016 at 6pm.

The artist’s style, like her message, is simple and bold. Primary colours, geometric shapes, and clean lines contrast with the unique oval shape of the canvas to create a modern, graphic image of a fertilised egg. The painting communicates hope and a chance of life, but also the fragility of both when under threat, expressed by the black crosshairs, which cut through the canvas.

The easily recognisable image of an egg brought to life through simple geometric shapes allows for a universal message, which transcends language, age, culture, or education. This style was chosen for the painting not that it might be researched and analysed in order to be understood, but rather executed clearly and simply so that its meaning could be understood by anyone.

Other than sketching cartoons from an early age and concept art for animation, Genevieve Detering had never really attempted painting. However, as a filmmaker she has always experimented with new ways of expressing herself, and in 2015 finally decided to undertake this project.

Detering wants to commit her life to using her creative works to draw attention to charitable causes close to her heart, and finding new ways of monetising them to support these causes. The Eggsperiment painting will be up for bid during the course of the exhibition. There is no reserve, and the winning bid will be announced at the end of the exhibition. 30% of the sale will be donated to the P21 Gallery and the remaining 70% will be donated to a charity of the artist’s choice in aid of the Syria crisis. For any enquiries or to place a bid, please contact the curator.

 

All Media enquiries to Taylor Lockhart-Lang

Tel: 075 0629 9839

Email: taylocklang@gmail.com

 

Press Information

Press are invited to contact the gallery for early access during the installation period and further information.

Images from the exhibition are available upon request.

 

Open View | 7th April 2016 | 18:00 – 21:00 | RSVP

 

reACT is an innovative P21 Gallery program dedicated to promoting emerging artists. reACT consists in opening an area of P21 Gallery to an artistic intervention, an artist is invited to create/present an artwork specifically for a section of the gallery. The artwork will not be a part of an exhibition, but a way for an emerging artist to produce a piece detached form and exhibition, causing him/her to think about the work and how to present it to the public.